It is said that we humans are creatures of habit, and certainly seems to be true for many of us in that habits, and a sense of routine help us cultivate a sense of balance that is important to a healthy lifestyle.
And so, when we find something that works for us, a particular gym, a yoga class we love, a dietary framework that feels good to our body, we tend to stick with it and sometimes cease to look elsewhere – at least for a while. And certainly, in order to master a modality or gain new strength in a particular part of our body, it takes regular consistent commitment. And all this is all good stuff.
But it is equally important to remember that mixing it up and including a variety of different movements, exercises and sports in our lives is super important for maintaining overall health as well as working toward new fitness goals. This variety goes for the foods we eat and the environments we put ourselves in.
And in an age where there are so many studios, gyms and awesome opportunities for indoor fitness, it is important to remember to get out into nature. Yes, getting outside is SO important for health! In Particular, being active in nature has innumerable benefits that even your favorite indoor activities can't offer. The benefits of being outside are huge, and increasingly our modern lifestyles provide less opportunity to get outside and be active.
Here are a few of the top benefits of living and indoor/outdoor lifestyle and why its so important to be active out in nature as much as possible:
- Walking barefooted on the earth charges the body with electrons which has numerous health benefits including moderating the heart rate, improved glucose regulation and reduced stress.
- New studies have show that people who exercise outdoors are more likely to stick to their health and exercise routines and even enjoy them more too!
- This study showed that being outdoors for 20 minutes can provide you with the equivalent amount of energy as a cup of coffee - nice!!
- Being outside is good for your brain: being outside can help increase concentration skills and creativity levels. Check out this article in The Washington Post about brain health.
- The peaceful mindset that one adapts when communing with nature helps stimulate the parasympathetic nervous system which can aid in healthy digestion and better absorption of nutrients from your food.
- Vitamin D absorption: Vitamin D is important for facilitating normal immune system function as well as regulating absorption of calcium and phosphorus.
- Breathing fresh air is energizing and can help boost the immune system. Studies show that the scent of flowers trees and other aromatic plants helps calm the nervous system. Learn more in this Huffington post article.
There is no substitute for getting out into nature – it provides peace and wellbeing like no man-made experience can. It helps us connect to the wildness inside, to our spirits, and to our primal instincts. Include being active in nature as part of your fitness regime is SO great for SO many reasons!
And when you get out there, don’t forget to be prepared to be outside! That means having the right gear and clothing and being prepared. Stop by Drishti to stock up on sports bras, active wear pants and drop by the boutique to check out our super sweet Hydro Flasks – those things will keep the cold cold or the hot hot for a full day-long trek!
Have fun guys and see you soon at the boutique on 130 E. Canon Perdido in Santa Barbara or at our awesome online store!